How to overcome the common security issues in using HTML5 on mobile devices?
With the evolving business challenges require technology solutions that are adaptive and assists in growing your business. As it is the case, with the introduction of new techniques in software development, transformation in business development and revolution in the enterprise, it all has opened new ways for challenges and needs. With the mobile app, it is easy to outreach people presenting your services and products to them. Through mobile apps, you take the client enterprise relationship and interactions to a new level as there is a shift from desktop to mobile devices. With this change, it has accelerated the growth and web page traffic.
You can bring in new beneficial results and can make your business scalable and ensure higher ROI merely through a mobile app, isn’t it that great? With proper planning and without being impulsive, you can achieve a higher position. But, developing reliable and robust enterprise mobile apps is no cakewalk as it requires constant attention and every step is of sheer importance and is critical to analyze each and every step.
Do HTML5 mobile apps are vulnerable to security threats?
The answer is obvious yes. Mobile apps that have been built with HTML5 are like any other web-based applications. They do pose any security issue, hence, developers should take proper security measurements to keep any security threat at bay. Safeguard mobile apps are important because they store useful date and information. Mobile apps are vulnerable to security issues and will always be as with the advent of technology it has opened up new ways but you should deploy security measures against cyber attacks.
As a developer, you obviously want to come up with mobile apps that are robust and is filled with rich user interface and have configurations that are compatible with cross platforms. You develop apps keeping in mind the client’s interests and needs. If you want to turn mere visitors into loyal customers mobile app is there, if you want to make profits in the process, then also mobile app is there. Therefore, you don’t want to leave any stone unturned and develop apps that are less vulnerable to threats.
Let’s move our attention to what these security issues could be and how can we overcome them. Here, we discuss the security issues that we face in using HTML5 in mobile apps and how to overcome them.
Ways to overcome security issues in HTML5 mobile apps
- Make use of basic security model of HTML5: by deploying the basic security HTML model, you can keep the mobile apps secure. An HTML app resides in the secure shell of the browser sandbox, thereby, the app code remains separated from the mobile device making the interaction limited between the device and the app code. The HTML5 mobile app remains on the server and does not rely on the client. It is easy to keep the app code on the structure of the mobile app. As a developer, you should implement strong passwords and security profiles and clear all the cache data minimizing data caching.
- Keep Middleware secure: The middleware is liable to get affected by malicious code such as XSS (cross-site scripting) as it accepts both code and data and executes the former automatically. HTML5 mobile apps need a middleware framework to be cross-platform. It is at greater risk as it gives access to other functionality like location data, contact list, gallery etc. This implies that these are accessible to external channels and cyber criminals can easily breach into them executing them the way they want. You can follow the below-mentioned steps to keep the middleware secure:
– a systematic analysis of XSS sanitation in mobile apps/
– separating the code and data.
– restriction the access for untrusted code.
– restriction on unreliable sources and prevent their execution.
- Optimize security of local data: you must use a robust cross-platform mobile app and encapsulate both object and data models within the business process. These models will handle the local data in a more secure way and prevent common security issues. We store our both personal and business data on the mobile devices, hence, we need to ensure that the HTML5 app does not affect the data files or whatsoever. Encapsulating business models will make it more secure and prevent security threats like SQL injection. It will further provide a stronger firewall for the data stored.
- Integrating MDM solutions: the developers have the privilege to make the HTML5 mobile apps utilizing various mobile device administration. These solutions permit developers to execute enterprise access control strategies and security standards effectively. They can limit the access to HTML5 mobile apps by executing passwords and encryption methodologies. In any case, the developers should consider that the MDM solutions are designed specifically by keeping in mind the scope of the mobile applications. So, they must incorporate components and include features in the apps that meet the security standards and also perform optimally.
- Using Secure Browsers: while developing the HTML5 mobile apps, the developers must recommend the user to implement mobile device management (MDM) strategy and to access HTML5 apps only on secure browsers. They must insist on secure HTML5 mobile apps and incorporate these methods in the MDM strategy. The benefit of browsing on safe browsers is that it will permit them to access only business-approves URLs. Also, the browsers can be integrated with the VPN. It will secure the mobile apps and let them interact with cross-platforms, operating systems and networks seamlessly.
HTML5 mobile apps make the browsing and navigation smooth and enhance the user experience. Therefore, mobile apps are imperative as they bridge the gap between the enterprise and the users. It is important for developers to take into account the security aspects of apps and rigorously test the HTML5 mobile apps to ensure that they perform optimally and are well within the scope of the enterprise model. For that, the developers need to perform tests to identify and eliminate any security issue that can hinder the functionality of the app. However, the testing should be done in such a way that it doesn’t affect the functioning of the app and must be performed by combining various mobile devices and operating systems.
The soul purpose of mobile apps to generate more revenue and helps businesses in reaching new heights and growing exponentially. The growing trend is to monetize through in-app purchasing.
Author Bio: – Jessica Alba is an ed-tech enthusiast and has been associated with CWS Technology as a writer for more than 7 Years. CWS is the leading mobile app development company that also provides WordPress Development service and other IT solutions. Jessica has a passion for writing on emerging technologies like application management outsourcing, consulting, system integration etc.