WordPress 3 was greatly anticipated and indeed it does offer many new sophisticated features. However, when it comes to simpler things have gone a bit backwards…I’ve recently upgraded to the the 3d version with a lot of reluctance and scepticism but I was quite impressed experiencing no major problems.
Most Annoying Issues
There are a few very annoying glitches I wanted to find a way around them:
- Added line breaks (by just by hitting enter or return) in visual mode are being removed. Why?
tags in HTML mode are being removed. Why?
- The HTML that appears in HTML mode is not a sub-set of the actual HTML, Why?
I guess that a compromise had to be made so WordPress would be easier to use but in fact the aforementioned three annoying issues will definitely put many people off, whether amateurs using the visual mode or experts using the HTML mode.
Other Common Problems
Some other problems or omissions of the default visual editor have not been resolved such as:
- The ability to paste text from Word which is more likely what most content authors do.
- The ability to paste as plain text, which is useful to many web developers.
- The ability to clean up messy code such as that produced if you paste content from word straight in the visual editor.
After fiddling around I installed a plugin which resolved ALL those issues. It’s not a new plugin but it has been updated and still does a great job. All you need to do is the following:
1. Install the TinyMCE Advanced Plugin
2. Go to Settings -> Tiny MCE Advanced
3. Locate the ‘Advanced’ box which is surrounded by a red border and check the option:
Stop Removing the <p>and <br/> tags when saving and show them in the HTML editor
4. Choose which extra functionalities you would like to add in the editor simply by dragging and dropping them in your current icon toolbar as the following screenshot demonstrates:
5. Click on the ‘Save Changes’ button.
6. Edit any of your posts or just add a new one. The new icons will appear in your editor’s toolbar as it can be seen below:
This articles is written exclusively for Orphicpixel by: Modi is an SEO and web design consultant promoting personalised gifts. He’s always looking for new ways to get the most out of the SERPS. You can connect with him on Twitter @macmodi